Existence, Consciousness, and Bliss
Meditation Exercise Experiment
- To do our meditation experiment, find a comfortable spot where you can sit quietly without being disturbed for 15-20 minutes.
- When you are comfortably seated, close your eyes and focus your attention on your breathing. You don’t need to try and breathe any special way, just take a few slow deep breaths to start and then breath normally.
- The focus on your breathing will have you already feeling more relaxed. As you continue your focus on your breathing, consciously relax your body. Let all your muscles in your face and neck relax. Tell yourself, “My whole body is totally relaxed”. (with a little practice this exercise will get even more effective)
- Take 2-3 minutes focused on your breathing and consciously relaxing the muscles throughout your body.
- Now, begin saying to yourself (in the mind – not out loud), “Sat-Chit-Ananda”. Just keep repeating this “mantra” to yourself. Satcitānanda, Satchidānanda, or Sat-cit-ānanda translates to English as “Existence, Consciousness, and Bliss” representing the coming together of the three levels of your being: Ego, Consciousness and Higher Self or Soul. Repetition of these sounds nurture a sublimely blissful experience of the boundless, pure consciousness – a glimpse of ultimate reality.
- “Sat-Chit-Ananda” “Sat-Chit-Ananda” “Sat-Chit-Ananda” “Sat-Chit-Ananda”…
- Whenever you notice that another thought or physical sensation has captured your attention, “gently” go back to repeating the mantra in your mind. “Sat-Chit-Ananda”, “Sat-Chit-Ananda”, “Sat-Chit-Ananda”…
- Continue this process for 10-20 minutes.
- After this time period, let the mantra go and come back to placing your focus on your breathing – slow even breaths. Give it a minute or so and then you can open your eyes when you feel ready.
It would be ideal for you to try this meditation exercise now but even more important is that you make this part of your daily routine taking time for this exercise before your morning meal. We will share some other powerful mantras with you in these pages and to learn more about meditation, you can visit: https://chopracentermeditation.com/articles