Order of the Sacred Earth: An Intergenerational Vision of Love and Action
Matthew Fox, a 76-year-old elder, activist and spiritual theologian, along with Skylar Wilson, a 33-year-old wilderness guide, leader of inter-cultural ceremonies, and an event producer, and Jennifer Berit Listug, a 28-year-old writer, spiritual leader, and publicist, are presenting a challenge and an opportunity in the vision launched in this modest book. That vision is about creating an Order of the Sacred Earth. Essay contributors to the book and its vision include Mirabai Starr, Brian Thomas Swimme, Adam Bucko, and David Korten.
“The creation of the Order of the Sacred Earth is a magnificent step forward for humanity. What we need now are sacred activists willing to come together and live conscious sacred lives to preserve the earth and humanity. I am honored to celebrate and join this great adventure.”
“I promise to be the best lover and defender of Mother Earth that I can be.”
Might this sacred pledge required of those who join the Order of the Sacred Earth save humanity and our Earth Mother? It is surely worth a try.
Individually, we are powerless against the forces of death wrought by human greed and violence in humanity’s ultimately self-destructive war against life. Only by acting together as lovers and defenders of our Earth mother will life prevail.
If you are drawn to this book, you likely know that our human relationship to Earth is in urgent need of serious healing. Eco-anxiety—a chronic fear of environmental doom—is surfacing as a reality-based, pervasive psychological malady.
In the midst of global fire, earthquake and flood – as species are going extinct every day and national and global economies totter – the planet doesn’t need another church or religion.
What it needs is a new Order:…a sacred community and movement:
…A movement of communities welcoming all the peoples of Earth: our varied belief systems (or non-belief systems), genders, races, classes, abilities, and nations.
…A deeply spiritual movement, grounded in the Wisdom traditions of both East and West, in leading-edge science and indigenous tradition.
Therefore, an Order of the Sacred Earth.
Not a new religion; or a new church; but a new Order.
A radically inclusive Order of mystic activists,
uniting our energy and intention in one sacred vow:
“I promise to be the best lover and defender of the Earth that I can be.”
“I PROMISE TO BE THE BEST LOVER AND DEFENDER OF THE EARTH THAT I CAN BE.”
Why do people take vows?
When you are distracted, a vow allows you to focus.
When you are conflicted, a vow reminds you of the values to which you’ve committed.
When the confusions and problems of life pull you away from your life goal and purpose, a vow clarifies your path.
When you are tempted to fall into apathy or despair, a vow challenges you to gather all your energy for a particular and noble purpose. It allows for, indeed calls for, some heavy lifting.
A vow deepens your life’s path from “job” or “career” to “mission” or “vocation,” and supports that vocation in good times and bad….a lifeline in these times of global transition.
ORDER OF THE SACRED EARTH:
AN INTERGENERATIONAL VISION OF LOVE & ACTION
‘The Order of the Sacred Earth not only calls us home to our true nature as Earth, but also offers us invaluable guidance and company on the way.”
This short book provides a new vision, one deeply rooted in Western, Eastern, and Indigenous histories: a new spiritual Order that affirms all spiritual traditions and practices that sustain life
and teach us to drink in wisdom from the Earth herself.
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED?
- Take the vow to be the best lover and defender of the Earth that you can be.
- Join us, either as a vow-taker or as a supporter, online or in person at the Winter Solstice this year. Details coming soon.
- Donate to our cause. If you are moved to donate more, we promise a transparent reporting of the use of funds—they are intended to support the launching and building up of the program including web pages and social media, correspondence, blogging, and events.
- Read the book and create study groups to discuss it.
- Talk about the Order with others where you live. Start up your own chapter of OSE and create your own ceremony on December 21st and live-stream with ours.
- Sign up for our mailing list on the website to stay connected and be informed of all future goings on.
- Write to us, and share your story about what you do, and how you are cultivating change in your communities. Or, tell us about another community/ organization who is participating in change-making.
Are you ready to answer the call and show up with other sacred activists as a lover and defender of the Earth?